When you’re learning to kiteboard, most instructors tell you that kiteboarding is all about Kite Control.
Well they are right!
But what is KITE CONTROL all about.
- Your safety and success in this sport is directly tied to how well you fly the kite and keep control of the kite.
- You must seek out proper instruction from an experienced and safety conscious kiteboarding instructor.
- Your control of the kite must develop to the level of an advanced kite flyer.
- Your understanding of the kites safety systems and its limitations must become obvious to you.
- You will ultimately need to fly the kite by feel as well as, by sight, if you want to become advanced.
- You must be proficient at operating all the kites safety features.
- You must be experienced in flying your kite in a variety of wind conditions and not lose control of the kite.
- You must be able to chose the right kite size for the conditions you plan to ride and adapt your flying style to those conditions.
- You must know how to inspect the kite, control bar and safety components, for wear and tear and safe operation, before flying.
- You must fly the kite a lot in very Light Winds at first, to learn more safely what it can and can’t do, before flying it in stronger winds.
- You must become independent and self sufficient with the kite, but chose to use trained help when it is available.
- You must learn your personal limitations, to minimize your risk and the risk to others around you, by making wise choices based on safety.
- You must remember, this is an Extreme sport, and mother nature can spank you sometimes.